BETA app testing

Nicola.Beddall-Hill | July 18, 2013


After a lot of hard work we have a working project app! It is in BETA phase as there is plenty to work on but to have reached this phase is extremely satisfying after a long time and a lot of effort from the team. While I have been involved in some of the design and content, especially the written parts (which still needs a lot more work) my main focus has been getting ready for its testing phase which ended on Saturday when I attended a family day at Ancient House to collect the final set of data. Unfortunately due to the hot weather, the museum did not receive many visitors however some attended and we got one trip over to the Priory to test the app and iPads.

Overall many people at this stage are very excited and pleased with the app. We have tested it with school children, museum volunteers (wide range of ages and ICT ability) and family groups. So far we have found that there are some usability and language issues. This is not entirely unexpected given it is being used by a wide range of audiences and trying to cater for them all is extremely tricky. We have found that the means to access the content needs to have differentiation when trying to build something that can be used (to a certain extent) by many different target audiences. One of our major usability issues so far is the lack of a scroll bar – it looks nicer with out one but people were missing vital information below the images and virtually everyone requested one.

I am hoping to have the rest of the data analyzed by the end of the month so that any changes can be implemented, media created (if needed) and ready to go into the app store as soon as possible. Wish us luck!


No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment